To start including web interactions in Marketing Cloud you need to set up interactions. There are different ways to do so. First thing you need to do is setting up is way to stitch Marketing Cloud subscribers to website visitors.
Add a new website
If you haven’t done so, you can add a new website to Activation Studio in the settings section.
Creating a new interaction
When setting up a new interaction in Activation Studio Interaction Designer click the ‘+ Interaction’ button. Let’s create an interaction to track all pageviews done by identified visitors.
- Choose the website related to the interaction
- Give the interaction a name, for example ‘All pageviews’
- Select a tag type ‘Website’
- Add variables:
- URL (text)
- Referrer (text)
- Title (text)
- Save and enable
- Click ‘OK’ when the prompt says “Interactions are no longer editable when enabled. Do you want to enable this interaction?”
Integrating the interaction on a website
You have a couple of options to integrate an interaction on a website.
- Via Google Tag Manager
- Via GET or POST endpoint
Choose your preferred way of integrating. When choosing Google Tag Manager you can download the TPL file.
How to import a TPL file in Google Tag Manager
- In Tag Manager, click Templates.
- Click New. This will open a blank template in the Template Editor.
- Click the More Actions menu (more_vert) and select Import.
- Select the . tpl file that you would like to import.
How to create a tag based on the template
- Create new Tag
- Choose Tag Type ‘Interaction Designer – All pageviews’
- Configure variables
- Choose trigger (make sure you only trigger pageviews of known visitors / subscribers)