It was already possible to use any data already available in de Contact Builder Data Designer. There scenario’s where you might want to add data from a temporary data extension or a data extension not yet included in the Data Designer.
We’ve added the option to include Data Extension in the Segment Designer interface.
- Start creating a new segment
- Click on the dropdown option at the left hand side
- Choose ‘Data Extensions’
- Search for the Data Extension you want to add
- Drag the field you want to include
- Define the relationship of the data. For example; link ContactKey (standard identifier and usually similar to the subscriberKey) with the subscriberKey field in the Data Extension you are linking
- Click Save
- Activation Studio will remember this link within this segment when adding more fields
Step by step example adding Data Extensions
Step 1: Selecting Data Extensions
Step 2: Searching for the Data Extension
Step 3: Linking to the contact model
Step 4: Reusing the Data Extension
How does one-to-one and one-to-many relationships work
We want to keep things simple so if you link a data extension on the primary key, the relationship will be one-to-one. When linking the data extension on any other field, the relationship will be one-to-many. This is useful when for example adding transactional data (bookings, purchases, etc) or or demographical data.